Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:12:52 +0800 (WST)
Cc: ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx
> What about the stabilizer lens that I so much longed for? The day after this
> EOS-3 adventure I got my slides back and some did indeed show some blurr,
> but that was movements of the birds! No mather how steady my hand is or much
> techno-stabilizing there is at hand, as long as birds fly there will be fast
> lenses around. So much for a stabilizing lens.

The IS isn't meant for "tracking" moving subjects (and that is stated in
the manual). The IS is to cater for "unsteady hands" - i.e. where the
camera itself shakes. Therefore allowing handheld shutters of up to 2 F
stops slower than the 1/focal length rule.

The following picture was taken at 1/4 sec shutter :-

http://www.tsm.com.au/~sean/PeoplePhotos4.html

But back on topic, I have to admit that I've been sucked into the
features of EOS 3 and will buy this camera. What I am still deciding is
whether to keep my OM-4Ti. The EOS 3 has all the features I use on my
OM-4Ti (no I don't use the Hilight and shadow, but use the multi-spot
extensively). Don't worry, I am not abandoning the Oly system yet 'cos I
still have an OM-1 and intend to keep my Zuiko lenses & Varifinder for
it.

Whilst its true, the person behind the camera is the key to successful
photos, I lose a lot of film on inaccurate focussing and
absent-mindedness of setting ISO's manually, or leaving my OM-4Ti's
shutter in B or mechanical 1/60 for storage. What I expect out of the
EOS 3 is to help me concentrate on composition & (multi-spot)metering,
and place less emphasis on remembering to set the ISO, moving shutter
ring back to the electronic ranges (Yes, I do more Av than manual), or
waste time focussing.  If you see my web pages, you'd notice I tend to
do more candid portraits and as such would like faster focussing.

This is my perspective anyway,
Sean
--
Sean H.Y. Chan (sean@xxxxxxxxxx)