Re: [OM] (OT) Courtesy (was:... Worst $3400 I've ever spent)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Courtesy (was:... Worst $3400 I've ever spent)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:49:23 EST
To Richard, Charlie, George, and everyone else on the forum- thanks for
accepting my apology for the unfortunate posting I did the other night. Yes,
it truly IS difficult to express humor or another emotion via electronic mail.
I have given myself 40 lashes (not real hard) with my PC cord and am now
straightened out. (Even though I might have kinda enjoyed it- but that's a
topic for the psychology forum).
BTW- the suggestion to go insult some Leica users was so good, I think I'll do
it later tonight! :) Can I include some Contax users or would that be going a
bit too far?

To get to a topic here- thanks for asking my reasons for going to and back
from Nikon/Canon autofocus- I was attracted by what I saw as the "modern" way
to go photographically speaking- and I was seduced by their sleek lines. They
both are fine camera systems, and the photo quality WAS quite good. I was
torn, I had convinced myself that I needed the fastest AF that I could afford,
since I had young children involved in sports. I had forgotten that I had
gotten along quite well without AF for a long time. I did miss one aspect of
photography, since I learned it about 35 years ago, in the "old days" I guess
you would say, and that is the aspect of using my brain and not relying on the
camera's computer to make all my choices. I guess the digital age poses many
of the same dilemmas to us who are "old timers ".
I think the answer lies that there is room for all types of  systems, we
should just stick with what we are comfortable with and not dismiss anything
out of hand, but keep an open mind. Even though I am back to OM's, I think
I'll keep an AF body and a couple of lenses around just in case I find my
reflexes are not what they were 20 years ago, and I find myself missing shots.
I don't know, I'll just have to see what develops! [sorry, I couldn't resist!]
Peace and good health to all of you this holiday season and throughout the new
year.
Thanks again for listening,
George S.