Re: [OM] Vivitar 28-90

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 28-90
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:29:46 +0200
>Steve wrote:
>
>>I have yet another lens I'd like an opinion on!
>>It's another Vivitar - this time the Series 1 28-90mm (f2.8 I think, I
>>was looking through a shop window).
>>It's $US75. Does anyone have any experience of this lens?
>
>Yes, this is my favourite zoom. This year I took it along on a holiday to
>Spain and hardly needed anything else. I like it because of the very useful
>focal range, specially the 28 mm focal length, and the high speed. Because
>of this high speed a good off-brand teleconverter can be used to add a 180
>mm focal length (something you typically wouldn't want to try on a F4-5.6
>zoom). It performs very good. Its actual speed is 2.8-3.6, so only a 2/3
>stop speed reduction at the tele side. I think it is an upgraded version of
>the Vivitar Series I 35-85/2.8, which is a very bulky lens. Like this lens,
>it is not a true zoom but has a varifocal design (focus changes when the
>focal length is adjusted). This obviously is not ideal, but you get used to
>it quickly. This lens also has a cool macro setting at the 28 mm. side -
>not very good for insects, but interesting for plants; the very short
>shooting distance combined with the wide angle can produce bizarre
>perspective effects. I think $US75 is a very good price, at least when it
>is in good condition.
>
>Hans

Hello, I have a test from "Stiftung Warentest" from December, 1982:

Focal length                    28      50      90
General picture quality         +       +       +
Distorsion                      o       o       +
"Strange" light                 o       o       o
Vignetting                      o       o       o

Consistency of picture plane            o

Max. magnification              1:3,3 at 28mm

Quality of macro photos                 o

General result in picture quality:      + (good)

precision of the f-stop values          ++
stability                               ++

General result of mechanical quality:   ++ (very good)

Attendance                              + (good)

General result                          + (good)

This means, the lens is clear above average. In these tests, I have never
seen a "very good" zoom and this zoom has no "-" (insufficient) as a single
result.
Matthias