Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:39:18 -0600
>Sorry I have become somewhat lost in this discussion.  Ken, what is it that
>makes the money in photography for you?

People, places, commercial, wedding, portrait and covering events.  Events,
such as parties, receptions, conventions, theatre productions, etc.  I
shoot tons of landscapes, closeups and other artsy things, but don't really
expect much consistant money from them.  No matter how good I am, there is
somebody with better images and better technique.  I used to to some work
for biking mags and such, but haven't done that for about six years now and
the images have changed so much that the current trend requires extreme
wide angles (17-20mm), AF and lots of horsepower (fast motordrives), and
really creative flash control that the Olympus' can't do.

My latest focus in non-assignment work, as of late, has been in
transportation (barges, trains, trucking) and old farm houses.  I've self
assigned farming this past year and have fattened the files with
domesticated critters, crops, tractors, barns and old farmers (inlaws).
One agency I've been looking to work with has needed tons of agri-shots and
there are only a few photogs specializing in the "field."

This past month I've expanded my files with interior shots in hopes of
getting some assignment work from a major publishing house in Des Moines.
All I've learned from that experiement is that even though my work is good,
it still needs some serious improvement.  There is a big difference between
shooting commercial spaces and domestic spaces.

I was hoping to get some fresh eagle shots from Lock and Dam 21, but the
weather hasn't been cooperating and only a few have come down from the
north.  Maybe tomorrow I'll go upriver to a couple other L&Ds to see if
there is any better concentration there.

Now that I've exposed myself for all to see...  Well, there goes the
anonomity of the web.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography