Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:34:09 +0100
I myself wrote:
>>What about the stabilizer lens that I so much longed for? ... So much for
>>a stabilizing lens.

And Clyde Soles replied:
>Umm, were the non-moving things sharp in your handheld shots? That's the
>point of stabilization. (I think it really works by adding so much weight
>that it forces you to settle down ;-)

One of the most difficult things in bird photography is choosing the perfect
moment when the bird is somewhat still, this also applies to flying birds. I
have taken plenty of piccies of hovering red kites and most have been
reasonably sharp except for slight movements in the birds themselves (as an
example body and wings completely sharp, head blurry), in which case no
stabilizer lens in the world would have helped. But only someone with any
experience of such a lens can tell how useful it is, I reckon my previous
statement was a bit too hasty.

Ulf Westerberg