Re: [OM] Graduated ND filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Graduated ND filters
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:48:49 -0600
On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:27:43 -0800 "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
>Lately I have been shooting a lot of landscapes which I think could
benefit
>from a graduated ND filter,............Can anyone recommend a system to
use for >this purpose? ......Are there any filter systems which will work
on the 21/3.5...... >A 2stop ND grad seems to be the most common/useful -
is this a fair >assessment?

I had a brief flirtation with a circular split (not graduated) ND filter,
soon found out that in addition to never being in a straight line, the
division in the picture was never in the same place as the dividing line
on the filter.  Ultimate solution, for me, was to give up the quality of
a glass filter and go with the cokin plastic ones.  Personally I have had
better luck hiding the line when using the split filter as opposed to the
graduated type.  Of course, this will depend a lot on your subject
matter.  You can move the filter up or down in the holder, as well as
angle the holder to suit the lines in the photo.  The larger size filters
(P-series meant for MF) may be large enough to use with the wide angle?
The larger the difference in the graduation, the harder it will be to
hide the use of the filter.  2 stops differential is the most I have
used.  Good Luck.
Daryl Hurley