Re: [OM] 3V power supply

Subject: Re: [OM] 3V power supply
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:07:37 GMT
On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:20:37 +0100, Marko Vrabec
<marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have done the DIY external battery pack per Frank's instructions in
>Spring, when I was leaving for Svalbard (if you want to search the
>archives, check for topic "OM4T in cold weather").
>
>The voltage regulator is not strictly needed, since you can use only 2 x
>1.5 V cells, which gives you exactly the required 3V. Even with only two
>battery cells, I had no problems with "power supply". Frank's
>recommendation for this setup was to be careful with completely fresh
>batteries since they could go over 3 V (and you have no voltage
>regulator to control output voltage).
>
>OM4T's electronics seem to be durable, too, since my short-sighted
>father-in-law has soldered wires in a short-circuit initially, and it
>didn't kill the camera.
>
>I wonder, Frank, how you made the hole in that tiny OM batteries
>compartment cover? We had to use *umpf, here my English stops* this
>large (2 x 1 m) drilling machine ordinarily used for carving
>screw-threads onto metal. I supposed an ordinary household boring
>machine would deform the cover too much.

I put the cover very stiffly between two blocks of wood, in a sort of
bench-clamp, to make it a very rigid thing and prevent the cover from
moving or turning around during drilling.
I drilled through the whole pack - and no damage at all was done to
the cover. My drilling machine (a normal household Bosch one) is
mounted in a vertical stand, to make things easier.

Frank vL