Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:22:11 +0000
Richard Dale wrote:

>You have to accept though that technology has improved the art of picture
>taking, eg MS metering is pretty useful.

it may be useful, but it has *no* bearing on the *art* of picture taking.
That relies on the operator.  MS (I assume you mean multi-spot) is something
I've never used;  I will admit that a single spot seems handy - I choose my
meter target(s), and do not wish to rely on the camera's averaging
calculator to work out what *I* wish to expose for.  My favourite item in
most circumstances is the Weston IV incident meter - hardly cutting-edge
technology, but then my photographs aren't either.

What technology has improved is the opportunities for taking pictures in
circumstances where it was difficult or impossible before - AF, TTL flash,
spot meters, zoom lenses all have their uses.  If they help the photographer
get an image then they are useful.  For many people in many situations they
are not of great benefit, therefore have not improved anything.  The artist
is the one who creates the image.

Ken Norton wrote:

>Whenever I am having a problem with an art director who is giving me fits
>about 35mm, I ask him what the final print size will be (usually the
>equivelent to a 5x7)

What suprised me was how 35mm is so widely accepted, then I re-read this
sentence, and it made sense.

Simon E.