Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 06:00:24 -0500

NB using studio flash (essential in that environment) really makes fast
synchronisation speeds irrelevant since I am told repeatedly "the flash
takes the picture". Maybe that applies for all flash usage (except fill
in), assuming you can hold the camera steady at 1/60, which most people
can.

You may have been told that because most MF and LF cameras one would buy
for the studio have leaf shutters in the lens instead of focal plane
shutters in the body. Even MF FP bodies usually have at least one system
lens with a leaf shutter just for portraits or weddings. I don't quite
agree with this statement about the flash taking the picture; you want to
have the studio as well lit as possible for ease of focussing, and if you
are shooting models in motion, you will have problems... OTOH, if you are
shooting only still lifes, OK...

>>I had been thinking of getting a Mamiya 7 (or at least trying one out) to
have the advantage of being able to handhold as well as 6x7 which gives a
demonstrable advantage over 35ml. I'm not sure I like rangefinder cameras
and the lenses are fairly limited (though probably acceptable for general
usage). I've heard that the manufacturing quality of the Mamiya 6 was not
very good. I have doubts therefore over whether the 7 would keep a
reasonable used value.>>

The 6&7 are good cameras for outside. They would be a poor choice for a
studio camera.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com