RE: [OM] Graduated ND filters

Subject: RE: [OM] Graduated ND filters
From: JohnGardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:18:37 -0000
        Duncan wrote:

        "  One warning, though. Don't buy their cheap resin ND filters. They
are
> not neutral! (As I found out to my dismay when a whole bunch of velvia
> I shot in the Peru a few years ago had purple-hued clouds)."

        This only occurs in certain lighting situations, mostly when you
shoot directly into the sun. I have a shot taken in Derbyshire where I
employed two Cokin ND filters together to stop down a very bright sky. The
result looked as if I'd used a tobacco grad. However, I took the same shot
using two Cokin emerald grads and got lovely blue sky. If you use Velvia (as
I do) solely for your landscape work, the Cokin emeralds will be more
neutral than their grey grads (Cokin don't call them NDs so you can't
complain too loudly). Its seems paradoxical that a dark green filter comes
out neutral but it really does.

>  " For the true ND filters, brands like Singh-ray always get a good
> mention,
> As usual, you get what you pay for."

        $99 per filter ain't cheap. They do look well designed though and
are very long so you can place the graduation anywhere in the frame.

        <snip>

>   "The only major downside I can think of the cokin (and similar) systems,
> is that you often need to manually shade the lens/filters when taking
> shots."

        I usually leave the hood on and just hold the filter infront of the
lens or blue tac (is it called that in the States?) it in place.

        John

 12/16/98 13:18:41
Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076.
Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG.
Represents only the Halifax Financial Services Marketing Group for the purposes
of advising on and selling life assurance, pensions and unit trust business.
The Marketing Group is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.