Re: [OM] Kodachrome and OTF and other musings.

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome and OTF and other musings.
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:49:35 +1100
Ken Norton wrote:

> I've come across and been reminded (board hitting side of head) of an
> interesting characteristic of the Kodachromes that ended up destroying a
> number of what would have been beautiful images:  If there is an extremely
> bright object in the scene, such as the sun during a sunset or sunrise,
> there is far more reflectance off the film hitting the OTF sensor than with
> the Fujichromes.  (don't ask about Ektachromes as I rarely shoot them).

I have never had this problem with my OM2n, and I shoot Kodachrome
almost exclusively. Mostly with this kind of lighting I meter
on part of the scene, or substitute meter, since the light source is
going to be overexposed anyway. When I do that, I shoot in manual and
the OTF sensor is out of the picture (so to speak).

> This resulted in auto exposures AT LEAST 2-3 stops underexposed.  My manual
> exposures were right on, but the auto exposures (using OM-2S) were way off.

Just so. The problem is the atypical scene, not film reflectance. In
manual, your spot meter is unlikely to be pointing at the bright object.

> I compared nearly identical images from the K64 and Provia and
> made the following observations:
> [snipped]

I agree with your observations. The Fuji colours - Fujichrome
and Velvia at least - have always looked wrong to me. I think it's
a fashion thing, like bright purple cars. Kodachrome does have
serious colour shift and reciprocity problems with exposures >= 1
sec though, and for those Fuji is a better choice.

Several other modern cameras use OTF, especially for flash,
so film makers would have to use a standard reflectance. This
seems to be what they do.