[OM] Completely OT/Deutschland, uber alles!

Subject: [OM] Completely OT/Deutschland, uber alles!
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:01:21 +0100
Mark Hammons wrote:

> "Germany, Germany, Over all" (Other countries, I believe)
> "Over all in the world"...
>
> It is the opening line to the German national anthem during
> the Nazi regime.

Partly right, it was opening line since the Republic choosed it in 1922
for anthem.

So Jan Steinman  might have confused it  with another song:

> Literally, "Germany, over all," which by itself might not seem terribly
> offensive, but "Deutschland, Deutschland, Uber Alles" was the title and
> chorus of a Nazi propaganda song, so the allusion is unsettling, and I
> could see how it might be offensive.

I´m not responsible for synonyms other people have, but I don´t see any
claim for world rule in this song, like Eric Behr wrote:

> The phrase is
> synonymous with the Third Reich's ambitions to rule the world (America
> too).

Richard Dale was right with his observation:

> It's still the German National Anthem,

and Matthias Wilke precised:

> The national anthem of Germany uses the third text strophe, not the first
> one, of this "Germany Song" (text by Hoffmann von Fallersleben, music by
> Joseph Haydn, the meaning of the first strophe abused by the Nazis).

The third strophe was elected in respect to the sensibilities of the
Allieds and there peculiar ideas about Nazism.

The text was writen in 1841, after the liberty war against Napoleon and
in the begining of the 1848 revolution.

Regards

Richard

p.s. Maitani might never have dreamed (wished) of the conection between
his cameras and the national anthem of Germany.