Re: [OM] New Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:10:30 -0000
Rex Jackson  wrote
>I picked up a new camera today. An Olympus OM-1n with a Zuiko multi-coated
>50mm 1.8 lens.
>I couldn't be happier. Releasing the shutter on that puppy took me back in
>time about 20 years. I love the sound of an Olympus shutter.

I agree - it's the sound of reliability. A major reason for my disposing of
an OM10 was the cheap clattery noise it made.

>On a related note, I pulled out my old Vivitar 283 strobe and it works
>(kinda), but my old Olympus Winder1 is dead. I guess 20 years in a box
>wasn't too kind to these pieces.

Assuming you didn't leave batteries in it, the problem is probably oxidised
contacts that may respond to a bit of polishing.
I recently put batteries in my XA for the first time in five years and
although it works, the shutter seems very slow, an indicated 1/125th looks
and sounds like an 1/8th - even though the 'flash' speed seems okay. I left
the camera on a hot water bottle with a hot lamp a few inches above it for a
couple of hours but it hasn't helped much. Any better ideas?

Regards,
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx