Re: [OM] Re: Dave Digital Photo & Printing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Dave Digital Photo & Printing
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:06:43 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 11:18:48 -0800, "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> <<My next print processing will go to Mystic in Conn. Many have mentioned

> I was reading these posts about quality and was reminded of the fine quality
> of Mystic photo.

 I have used them too, and they're very good for a "mass market" photo
 developer. In fact, the only one I have found so far that'll do 5x7s
 glossies as a standard full-roll offering (most consider that an
 enlargement, you might get a "premium" or "super" or "35mm deluxe" 4x6,
 at best).

> And me with 3 rolls of Fuji to be developed.
> I think I will get the smaller size prints and use them as proofs.
> I can scan the prints on my flat bed and make 8x10's if there are any
> keepers.

Mystic is on the web at http://www.mysticcolorlab.com/. For some time,
they have been offering "Photo on Floppy", not recommended if you have a
scanner. They also have a web-based delivery service. Now they're also
offering photos on CD-ROM now, scanned at "our professional resolution",
1536x1024 (this higher resolution now also apparently available on-line)
. You can get higher resolutions scanning from prints if you like, but
if they're using a good commercial negative scanner, you may not get as
high a quality from a print on your flatbed.

> My Epson Stylus 600 does a decent job with Epson photo quality paper.
> If however I really like something I would get it printed at a pro photo
> lab. There is still nothing to match it. (not Yet).

Well, I thought so too, but they're getting closer every day...

> For the person having software problems with his printer,  I found out after
> speaking with three different tech support people and sending a printer back
> for a replacement that the answer was to have a separate port just for the
> printer.

The PC parallel port really isn't intended for more than one device at a
time. There are kludges such as passthroughs, or switchboxes. But you
can get an extra parallel port if you need one, for about  $20 or so.
Well recommended. If you have a newer PC, an OS with the right driver
support,  and go printer shopping, look for a printer using USB. The
cabling is much easier to deal with than the 25-pin parallel "Centronics"
cable they've been using for 30 years, and you don't have to worry about
other devices using the port (with hubs, you can fairly easily add as
many USB devices as you like). There are also USB to parallel converters,
which tend to work very well with printers, sometimes less so with other
parallel port things like the cheaper scanners and zip drives. That's
another option if the shared printer port is in your way. Or if you're
tired of switch from "general" to "photo" printer using a switchbox.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One