Re: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)

Subject: Re: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:23:54 -0700
At 01:30 PM 12/19/98 -0800, John P. wrote:

[snip]

>Preparing a
>"digital darkroom" is, in many ways, much more expensive and difficult than
>an emulsion based darkroom.  A high quality photo printer is only the
>beginning.  Serious software is required if you are going to take this to
>heart.  While expensive, the money is only the beginning.  The learning
>curve is long and steep.  Be prepared to commit a lot of time to whichever
>package you choose.

Indeed.  PhotoShop seems to be the minimum for serious users (although check
out the new Satori PhotoXL at www.i-us.com!).  If you're more of a dilettante,
PhotoPaint (or any one of its clones) isn't a bad start, though.  PS still
seems to have the best algorithms for image manipulation, though.

[snip]

>Storage is a substantial matter.  Full frame scans can easily exceed 20 mega
>bytes in size, stacked and manipulated images much larger.  You can fill a
>large HD in a NewYork minute at that clip.  Some form of removable mass
>storage media is required.  Tomoko seems very pleased with her MO drive and
>I'm sure they work well.  CD-R or CD-RW has a growing market share, and the
>Zip drive continues to thrive.

I use CD-ROM and CD-RW in tandem.  CD-ROMs are dirt cheap, CD-RWs more
expensive, but together offer virtually unlimited storage.

>Finally, the raw horsepower needed to handle large, high quality images
>files is impressive.  I put my 350MhZ, 64MB Wintel box on its knees when I
>start working more than 3-4 images at a time.

Yikes!  The box I'm getting for that type of work is a 450 MHz Pentium II with
384 Mbyte of RAM.  I just used one at a client's, and it's SWEET.  My po' l'il
200 MHz Pentium with 128M barely handles two images at a time if they're of any
size at all.

Yeah, it's more expensive -- but it's also more flexible (and you don't have to
deal with potentially toxic chemicals...)

Garth