Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] non-OM Zuikos
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:35:11 +0100
Keith (R.K.) Berry wrote:

> The half frame range made me an Olympus camera fan years before the
> appearance of the OMs, which, incidentally was a considerable disappointment
> to me and fellow members of the Pen F Register because it signified the end
> of the manufacture of this superb little s.l.r. with its X-sync at all
> speeds and its replacement by these conventional looking monsters.

To name an OM "Monster" is a strong word, but it´s true compared with an
Pen F/FT, the pentaprism and mirror box make it much bigger. The Pen
F/FT body is realy a master piece of compactness, but even an Pen isn´t
any longer small if an lens is attached.

> It wasn't
> that we didn't appreciate the TTL/OFT technology of the OM2 - we just wanted
> a Pen FT with that technology built in.

Motion picture format (half frame) cameras are more interesting today,
then 30 years ago, since film quality has risen considerably.

> We had some wealthy customers with all manner of expensive
> equipment (I had a Leica at the time) and we were used to seeing quality
> results, but this projector demo ended up with the entire staff jammed into
> the projector room to see these incredible slides, even though the subject
> matter was pretty mundane.

And I guess an Pen F will produce better quality pictures, than most
actual APS cameras.

I don´t have an Pen F/FT, mostly because Pen F models are realy scarce
in Germany and lenses are even more, but I would like to read more about
the Pen F models, unfortunately, I haven´t found any WWW sources.

Regards

Richard