Re: [OM] Ni-Cd Pack features

Subject: Re: [OM] Ni-Cd Pack features
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 18:23:19 +0000
Is it?  Well I have had very-limited-life problems with NiMH batteries
which 'mimic' the memory effect of NiCds so that whatever you call it, it
is a pain.  Perhaps it is not a memory effect as you indicate but rather a
permanent reduction in capacity and life.  Whatever, I dislike NiMH
batteries intensely.  I have found them inferior to NiCds IN USE.  They may
be superior in theory.

I quote you from the manual for my IBM laptop.

"Many users are familiar with the phenomenon known as battery memory, where
after repeated partial charging and discharging the battery pack appears to
lose some or all of its original capacity.  The nickel/metal-hydride (NiMH)
battery packs used by the ThinkPad are less susceptible to memory
development than are the more common nickel/cadmium (NiCd) batteries.
However, to ensure the longest possible battery life in terms of both
length of use per charge and number of charge and discharge cycles before
wearing out, observe the following guidelines"

I love the 'however'.

"when charging, always fully charge the battery pack.  Even if you only
need to run on battery power for a fraction of the battery's capacity, you
should not try to give the battery a partial charge."

"Do not recharge a partially used battery; always use up the battery pack
completely before recharging."

This all sounds very much like a regime to avoid memory effects in NiCds to
me.

There are similar caveats and warnings ascribing to my razor which has NiMH
batteries in it.

Giles