Re: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)

Subject: Re: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:23:15 -0500
Garth Wood wrote:
>Yikes!  The box I'm getting for that type of work is a 450 MHz Pentium II with
>384 Mbyte of RAM.  I just used one at a client's, and it's SWEET.  My po' l'il
>200 MHz Pentium with 128M barely handles two images at a time if they're >of
any size at all.
Exactly that kind of talk had made me putting off getting Photoshop to work on
my digital files.  I am currently using a lowly 166MHz Pentium with 40MB of RAM.

It is true that you need to refresh the memory by restarting the computer every
once in a while, but I have found it doable with my humble setup.

Adobe recommends at least 32Mb of RAM for 5.0 which I have.  I know Photoshop is
expensive, which is another reason why I have put it off.  Students and teachers
can buy one at an academic discount.  Go to your campus bookstore and find out
how much it would cost you.  If I remember correctly, it was less than $300.

I bought mine as a scanner bundle.  Since I have a lot of Ilfochrome prints I
would like to digitize, I reasoned that I could use a flatbed scanner.  An
upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0 was free.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/