Re: [OM] photographic Gullivers in Lilliput

Subject: Re: [OM] photographic Gullivers in Lilliput
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:51:11 +1100
>I once did a drawing showing how, by incorporating a non-removable motor
>drive in the base of an OM body, and using the film frame cut-out in a
>rotary shutter to clear the viewfinder, such a rotary shutter could be made
>room for in a full frame s.l.r. and sent it to Olympus, Tokyo. I had a
>charming letter back, telling me they were passing my suggestion to their
>Technical Department, but I heard nothing further. In retrospect, it would
>have needed to be a much bigger shutter disk for horizontal full frame and
>would need quite hefty mechanisms to first spin it fast enough and then
>brake in a single revolution. The inertia forces would probably spin the
>camera out of your grasp!

If it worked - imagine true full sync speed.

I bought a 65-116 tube from a previous list member (Richard Wong). He was
telling me that when the OM-1 came out, to demonstrate it's smallness it was
shown with a larger body in the background. Apparantly this body was huge.
Richard believes that this was a prototype FTL (?) with a rotary shutter.

Foxy