Re: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)

Subject: Re: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:25:47 -0500
Lee Hawkins wrote: to my post of
>>reprinting offer will be within my cost.  A custom Fuji print from a lab I use
>>for Ilfochrome is $12.00 for 5x7.
>Yes, but how can you even begin to compare an Ilfochrome to a dye-sub
>print?  I've never seen a dye-sub that even came remotely close to an
>Ilfochrome.  Are the Alps printers really that good?
I did not compare the Ilfochrome print to my Alps dye-sub print, but compared
the Fuji custom print to the dye-sub print in terms of my pricing.  The Fuji
print (C-prints from negatives) has been reported to have a longer lifetime
compare to the Kodak print.  Because of this, my Ilfochrome lab makes Fuji
prints since they cater to the fine-art/display print customers.  The owner is a
photographer himself who does panorama photography professionally, so he is
serious about the archival quality.

Back to the quality of dye-sub prints.  The only other dye-sub prints I have
seen are Kodak dye-sub prints, and I was not impressed with the color.  Even my
dye-sub print depends very much on a graphic file it is printed from.  At first
I was happy getting a photo print out of my Alps printer, but lately I have been
working on the graphic file to improve its color balance and its sharpness.

At the moment I don't have a film scanner because even the high-end scanner does
not have the resolution I would like for archiving my slides.  The full
resolution of the Kodak PhotoCD is at 2048x3072 pixels, which you can get at
$1.00 -$2.00 per scan.  The file size is 18 MB which is sufficient for 8x10
printing at 300 dpi.

I have used four dye-sub prints in a recent show of 18 photographs I had at my
local camera store.  One customer contacted me by e-mail, saying he would be
interested in buying dye-sub prints.  When I showed him the dye-subs and the
Ilfochromes of the same photos, he decided to buy the Ilfochromes.
Nevertheless, I think I have been able to make very good dye-sub prints of two
of my photographs.  You can see the photographs at the following URL:
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/mygallery2.html
The two are "Blue Dreams" and "Autumn Palette, #1".  Last night I  compared the
one I used for the show (one month at the store without any glazing over it) and
the one I made earlier which I have kept at home and I could not detect any
differences between the two.  These dye-sub prints as well as the Ilfochrome
prints are available for purchase. If interested, contact me off list.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/