Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:45:10 -0500
"R. Lee Hawkins" wrote:
>In your message dated: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 20:27:55 EST you write:
>
>>A professional lab where I have an account has made a mistake/a machine
>>breakdown a few times in the past several years.   Unfortunately it always
>>happens when I am having my oversea trip films processed.  On my first trip to
>>Germany and Austria (including the Salzburg stop) with our choir, I shot a rol
>You mean you have had a lab ruin multiple rolls of film, and you still
>do business with them?  If I were you, I would have found a new lab long
>ago.  Loosing one roll every 20 years I can forgive.  Loosing one every
>few years would cause me to look elsewhere.
I did not because in the first instance (1992) one roll of print film
imperfectly processed was due to a machine breakdown.  The lab offered to do a
few free custom prints (4x5; this lab does not do any machine printing) for the
roll.  Thus I did use that roll and used the free custom prints from that to
give away or resale.  I even managed to have machine prints made from the
imperfectly processed roll at an another lab.  The colors were not perfect, but
it was after all a not-well-lit indoor event.
The second problem was a human error, which happened in 1997.  As I said, there
were six rolls involved and two stops underexposure resulted from not pushing
two stops I directed. In addition to all the processing cost made free, the lab
offered to make dupes lightening by two stops since these were Provia 1600 slide
films.    I selected a bunch and the lab made free lightened dupes by two stops.
When I had a quick look at those lightened dupes and the originals
processed two stops underexposed, I realize why the lab did not notice a problem
until they finished all the rolls and somebody wrote up a bill into the computer
for the work.   Since these rolls involved trout in and out of water plus some
ducks above the water, there were a range of exposures possible.  As far as the
ducks were concerned, the two-stop underexposure did not look bad.    The
correct exposure for the fish out of the water might have been one stop off.
In retrospect, I wish I had done bracketing from roll to roll or bracketing from
one series of exposure to another series since I was using a Winder 2 to get
consecutive several shots to catch the fish in midair on the film.
Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/