Re: [OM] What to buy

Subject: Re: [OM] What to buy
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:00:12 EST
In a message dated 12/21/98 8:11:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, JOEL-
BLACKWOOD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm considering an Olympus SLR.  I've read all the Oly faqs I can get my
 hands on, but I'm still left wondering a few things.  I've picked up on the
 idea that OM-1,2,3,4 cameras seem to be more robust/solid than the
 OMF-F/G/etc.  but I can't seem to find out why.  Isn't the OM-G (or is it F)
 the camera with the semi-autofocus (focus indicator)?  Does this system
 work very well?  Or do you think I should try an OM-1 or 2 (3's and 4's
 are out of my price range)? >>

Joel,

As was stated earlier, the OM-1,2,3,4 are considered by Olympus to be
"professional" grade cameras. The OM-10,20/G, 30/F, and 40/PC, as well as the
2000, are "consumer" grade cameras. If you pick up a 1 or 2 there is no doubt
you will love it. It will be more versatile (interchangeable screens,
interchangeable backs, etc.) and will most definitely be more rugged. On the
other hand, the "consumer" grade cameras are not a bad bunch. The OM-F is the
one with the focus indicator, but they seem to be pretty rare, and it sounds
like the focus indicator doesn't work in a lot of them anymore. You may want
to consider a clean used OM-G or OM-PC, and spend the difference on our
beloved Zuikos. In particular the OM-PC seems to be a nice camera (the only
"consumer" camera by Olympus with TTL flash). I've always felt that you're
better off spending money on lenses rather than cameras. That's why all my
cameras have been bought used, but most of my lenses new.

All of the above is IMHO, of course

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI