Re[2]: [OM] For those thinking

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] For those thinking
From: "Lon Coleman" <lon_c@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:07:03 PST
Just joined this list, so I did not catch the start of this thread, but
here goes a best shot at the info I have.

Dave Haynie, if you are attempting to connect a UMAX 1200S to just any
SCSI chain, you may be disapointed.  This scanner will only work with
SCSI cards with a modest bandwith.  If you attempt to connect it to a
SCSI adapter like the Adaptec 2940UW you will be disapointed (it will
not work).  You can make it works with the 2940UW if you choke the
2940UW down to a lower bandwidth via bios settings (but this negates to
bandwith to all conected devices, so why did you pay so much for a high
performance SCSI adapter?).

The UMAX website has a list of Adaptec SCSI adapters that will work with
the 1200S.

If you stay with a SCSI adapter that does not exceed SCSI II, most
likely you will be OK.  Some other higher performance adapters may work
(but they are a gamble).

I have no knowlege about this scanners accomidation of NT.

Enjoy!   Lon

> On 11 Dec 98, at 0:27, Dave Haynie wrote:

> > Since then, that
> > scanner has run just dandy on my Symbios 53C825 SCSI card, then my
> > "IoMega Buz" card (different machines involved).

> Hmm.... I was thinking of the UMAX 1200S ever since HP discontinued
the
> 5P scanner. But if they don't work with NT, forget it.

Actually, the scanner itself runs fine in NT with a good SCSI card and
ASPI driver. It's only the supplied $10 SCSI card that didn't work. If
you already have SCSI, this isn't an issue (there's probably no reason
to add the second card). If not, well, I wouldn't pick my scanner based
on the bundled SCSI anyway, but if you do, it's probably not going to
work under NT.