Re: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:28:00 -0800
On 22 Dec 98 at 11:25, Dave Haynie wrote:

> I'm not sure it's a fair comparison, for several reasons. First of all,
> in the audio realm, CDs immediately delivered the potential for better
> sound than all but the best audiophile-quality systems could render. And
> that, only from select media. True, there are enough folks who can tell
> the difference to create a market for $8000 turntables and expensive
> direct to master recordings and other stuff -- though the audiophile
> world isn't necessarily without a healthy dose of religion (he says,
> with a toe in the studio recording world); they're not looking for
> reproduction accuracy as much as certain features that may also
> include accurate reproduction.

I think if you compare today's digital/chemical scenario with the CD/LP
scenario of the early 80s, you'll see a closer analogy:
For example - my first CD player was a 1985 Sony model for $400. At that time,
my Dad's Rega Planar turntable (entry level "audiophile", about $600), was
clearly superior to the harsh, hollow sound of the CD, at least on a decently
recorded LP. True, some LPs sounded poor, but nearly all CDs sounded the same -
awful - on the Sony CD player.