Interior dust (was RE: [OM] Doris has left)

Subject: Interior dust (was RE: [OM] Doris has left)
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:47:52 +1100
srp wrote:

> side rant:
> why is interior dust so common with used lenses? None of the lenses I have
> bought new (even those I got in the 70's) have developed this malady and
> they've certainly gone out and gotten their clothes dirty...hey, I live in
> the bleedin' Mojave Desert!

        I have noticed the same thing.  Don't know whether it's dust or tiny
paint flakes (my guess), but they seem to be more prevalent in "used" than
"new" of the same age.  My theory is that heat is the main destroyer of
lenses, perhaps excessive heat causes the internal paint to "flake off", and
I'm pretty sure excessive heat causes the lubricants to move around to give
"oily/sticky diaphrams".  Now living in the Mojave desert, I guess your gear
could be exposed to extremes of both heat and cold, depends on how you look
after it.

        What do you think ?

        ...Wayne