Re: [OM] People leaving the List

Subject: Re: [OM] People leaving the List
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:20:44 -0600
Gosh, with Doris gone I guess I will just have to sell off my olympus
equipment and go N*k*n or C*n*n.  No reason to stick around.

Seriously, the om list is an unusual list in that it is more "family like"
than what you typically find on the net.  Doris contributed lots to the
atmosphere that made this list what it is.  George, Tomoko, Frank, Gary,
John H, John G, Giles and many many others have gone out of their way to
add a certain character to the list that makes you welcome to share not
only equipment thoughts but just plain life thoughts.

We have lost many people through the past couple of years that really built
the style of the list.  Remember Gary trying to pick up the woman with the
really cheep shift lens?  Dorothy?

Over the past two years that I've been on the list there have been many
come and go.  The newcomers usually assume that this list is like others
and practice standard netequette (or lack of) which just gets people riled
up.  Before you get all bent out of shape about some OT posts, just
remember that this is like a gathering around a campfire.  You can go from
conversation to conversation participating in what you want or adding to
the conversation where appropriate.  If a particular topic doesn't interest
you or bothers you, just ignore it and try contributing a new topic to the
list.  Instead of getting all upset about the German posts, I decided to
introduce a couple new subjects to the list instead.  Just maybe a new
lively topic such as dumping olympus and going nikon would distract from
the "Viva la France" types of disagreements.

Why is it that we offend so easily in these email groups.  Why do we
automatically assume that we are bashing someone, something, or whatever
all the time?  Is this how we communicate with our wives (pluralism???) and
kids?  Of course not.  This is not an afternoon TV talk show where you need
bouncers to keep the slimeballs from killing each other.

Before hitting that "send" button just reread your post to make sure it is
saying what you want it to say and read it like everybody else would read
it.  If you want to flame, do it off-line.  This list doesn't need that
garbage.  YES, THAT INCLUDES YOU!

Doris will be missed.  I hope she rejoins, but if not, the list will go on.
 But even though I was getting sick of reading about her bargains, <g> I
appreciated her insights and contributions.

Now if Gary would just leave.   JUST KIDDING!

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx