Re: [OM] People leaving the List

Subject: Re: [OM] People leaving the List
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:42:39 -0800
>Selena wrote among other things,
>
>*= Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me =*
>
>Dear Selena,
>This may belong on a private email but I doubt it!
>You may have good intentions, however, I don't think you have a grasp of
>this list.
>That also goes for the hot heads that drove Doris away.
>We have been developing a group here unlike anything I though possible
>on a mailing list.  Until, that is, some people just could not check their
>ego's at the keyboard!

I too will miss Doris.  But as for your comment about hotheads, I think it's
a bit oversimplifying the issue.  I watched with dismay the exchanges
between her and some other folks over the issue of bracketing.  There were
less-than-gracious messages sent by both her and the other(s).   BUT, why
should Doris then leave the list? Why take your toys and go home just
because 1 or 2 persons vehemently disagree with you?  Doris made up her own
mind.  I wish she would come back, but that's her decision.  The net is just
another slice of life. Thre will be disagreements.  And sometimes
agreements, apologies, detentes, etc.  And sometimes people decide to move
on.  That's life.

><<Some of us don't quit just because of a little confrontation>>
>
>Yeah, well I almost did. And I wasn't even directly attacked!
>There is no place in my life for unchecked word wars with no purpose other
>than
>to insult and antagonize others.

Congrats for having the courage to put up with it.  Your posts add your
personal insight to the list.

George