Re: Re[3]: [OM] For those thinking

Subject: Re: Re[3]: [OM] For those thinking
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:42:39 -0800
On 22 Dec 98, at 22:45, Dave Haynie wrote:

<snip>
> The problem I had with the UMAX 1200S was only with the SCSI-1 card that
> UMAX supplies with the scanner, not with any of my higher performance
> devices. Most of the included SCSI cards with these things are
> throw-aways, provided simply because SCSI isn't standard on the PC. The
> card in question, a total no-name card, totally programmed I/O (that's
> bad), simply didn't work reliably enough in Windows NT to be accepted (
> it constantly dropped whole lines during transfers). Switching to the
> Symbios chip solved the problem, though the scanner eventually wound up
> on the Windows 95 machine anyway.

Dave,

Thanks for the info on SCSI. What is your opinion of the 1200S, as
compared with similar HP scanners? (4P, 5P, etc)

Most of our PCs already have SCSI of some sort, so the card is not really an
issue, I'm more concerned with scan speed, build quality (student use), and
driver support.

Thanks.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx