Re: [OM] Zuiko Colour/Color rendering

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Colour/Color rendering
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:16:58 EST
Peter writes:

> I can tell you that cool and warm lenses do exist--I've got two of them for
>  my old Leica IIIf.

Based on the early 1950's photo magazines and camera manuals my dad kept
around and I read as a teen, the color rendition of a taking lens was a often
debated point.  There was a term for lenses that were balanced for color
photography: "color lenses."  Reading that in the late 1960's sure made that
sound like a funny statement.  I suppose that previous to 1950 the color
rendition didn't make as much difference since black and white was nearly
universal and color rendition of film wasn't accurate enough to matter.

Those older than I can correct me where I need correcting.

Someone mentioned that prosumer cameras and lenses were a thing of the 1970's.
I'll take that back a bunch of years and say 1953 on.  Lots of Japanese
rangefinder cameras found their way here from Korean War vets.  One can argue
that Canon made its name in the 1950's from prosumer cameras, as did Olympus a
bit later.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV