Re: Interior dust (was RE: [OM] Doris has left)

Subject: Re: Interior dust (was RE: [OM] Doris has left)
From: srp <cyberoptix@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 06:47:33 -0800
>srp wrote:
>

>> side rant:
>> why is interior dust so common with used lenses? <snip>
>>
>       I have noticed the same thing.  Don't know whether it's dust or tiny
>paint flakes (my guess), but they seem to be more prevalent in "used" than
>"new" of the same age.  My theory is that heat is the main destroyer of
>lenses, perhaps excessive heat causes the internal paint to "flake off", and
>I'm pretty sure excessive heat causes the lubricants to move around to give
>"oily/sticky diaphrams".  Now living in the Mojave desert, I guess your gear
>could be exposed to extremes of both heat and cold, depends on how you look
>after it.
>
>       What do you think ?
>
>       ...Wayne
Wayne,
off-list so as not to bore the group...
well, my 'bought new' and my few truly 'Mint' used Zuikos show no internal
detritus.
Again, I've had some stuff since the late 70's. In fact, I have a Canon
rangefinder that an uncle brought back from Korea in the 50's and the lens'
internal glass surfaces are pristine!
I keep my foto gear enclosed one way or another (bags, cases etc) and
always inside an air conditioned house. So this dust invasion/internal
paint flaking has already occurred when I take possession.
I have yet to get a clean (inside) lens dusty (inside)!
I take my stuff out and expose it to all extremes of weather (the wind
chill is below zero F as I write!) and unpleasantries but I come home,
clean it up and put it away. Guess not everyone does the same...?
I shudder to think of the heat necessary to flake the internal paint (melt
rubber, craze glass, warp metal?)
You may well have a valid point about the origins of this 'dust'
however...the shape and coloration of some of the particles does not hold
with my precept of 'what dust looks like'.
happy holidays-
Steve