[OM] First semi-serious astrophotography attempt

Subject: [OM] First semi-serious astrophotography attempt
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:45:30 -0600
I've just gotten my OM-1n back from John (thank you) so it's time to break
it in, so to speak:  One of these nights in the near future, I'm going to
try a bit of guided astrophotography with the OM-1n piggybacked on my Meade
ETX telescope, using some combination of lenses (50 thru 300mm Zuiko).  If
the pea-soup skies that we've had for the past TWO WEEKS clear up, that is.
Film most likely will be NHG II, not necessarily because it's the best, but
because it is at hand.

At roughly 8:00 pm these days, Orion is on the rise, the Pleiades are
directly overhead, and Jupiter is still visible in the western skies.  Lots
of opportunities here...

The assembly of the camera and 300mm lens, mounted on the ETX with the
piggyback mount, is something barely recognizable as a telescope and/or
camera.  Folks, don't try this at home unless you have a stout tripod
(thanks to Denton for that Bogen 3036, by the way)!

I'll let you know the results.  They could be anything from spectacular
(yeah, right) to perfectly exposed blurs, or even nothing at all.  I'm
expecting a lot of the ETX's clock drive and mount in this, so anything is
possible.

One... just ONE clear evening... that's all I ask.  Puh-lease!!!

Opinions?  (Lee?)

Mahlon