Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 13:34:54 +1100
Shawn Wright wrote:

> On 23 Dec 98, at 20:16, Frank Ernens wrote:
>
> > ...has an absolute upper limit on its life of 10 years because
> > it has an LCD (as does an OM4Ti).
>
> I think this is being a bit harsh - my 4T champagne is approx 10
> years old now, and has had very heavy use. It shows no sign of the
> LCD going yet. I agree the LCD will probably fail at some point, but
> 10 years may be too pessimistic.

That's cheering. I wrote ten years because I'd been told five and
I doubled it. Does anyone know what the correct figure is? Any engineers
out there who can explain why they do degrade? If it's a chemical
reaction, does it go faster with heat and light?

> > [FE] That said, I think Olympus could be a bit imaginitive and bring
> > the OM1 or OM2N back into production. Perhaps they simply don't have
> > spare capacity, what with all their other successful products.
>
> I don't buy this - the Stylus Epic is not even assembled in Japan
> anymore, and I'm sure many others are the same. If Oly wanted to
> resurrect the OM-1, they could do it.

OM1 production would need to be closely supervised, just like
medical equipment. Olympus might not have enough of that kind of
production capacity. It's not a question of Thai or other workers
being less careful than Japanese workers, but simply that it costs
a lot to train and supervise people far from home where all your
expertise is. I agree that it sounds like they should give it
a go, especially since such a factory could also be used to make
medical equipment, for which there is an increasing market.