Re: [OM] cold weather problems

Subject: Re: [OM] cold weather problems
From: Bill_J._Rice_at_RLT012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:00:08 -0600
>james olson wrote:

>i am having troubles with my om-4.  actually i always have trouble with
>all my olympus stuff.  hooray!  anyway, the problem is that when cold
>outside, and using the self timer, the camera does not complete the self
>timer cycle.  it just starts beeping and beeping over and over.  when i
>reset the camera, and test the battery, the battery tests as fine.......
>so if the battery has enough voltage, why do i loose my camera in the
>cold?  i've had this trouble again and again and again.

>does anyone feel a cold weather pack would help, as diagrammed earlier
>on this group, or do i have another problem with the body?

>thanks.

Emerging from my lurking hiatus to answer James' question:

I believe this is just typical behavior for an OM-4.  I have the same
problem with mine when I venture out in the frigid Illinois weather
(currently it's 11°F).  When the batteries get cold they just don't have
enough juice to power the self timer (it uses 12 mA).  The battery check
only uses 7 mA so that probably explains why the batteries check out OK.
Visit the FAQ at
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html for more
info.

My experience is that the OM-4 can still take pictures at temperatures
which don't allow the self timer to work.  If you need to use a timer in
cold weather, B&H and Adorama sell a mechanical timer for about $30 that
screws into the shutter release.

Bill Rice