Re: [OM] Want to buy... PX-625's ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Want to buy... PX-625's ?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:39:05 -0800
Dave Haynie wrote:

[snip a good run-down on the diff. OM bodies]

>The original "M-1" is a collector piece probably selling for $600 or more.

Hmm, more like $1000, if in good condition.

>the one thing to watch out for is that the original batteries for the
>OM-1, some sort of mercury battery, are not available anymore.

Well, the necessary battery is called PX-625 (or PX-13), and is indeed
a mercury (Hg) cell with 1.35v output.  Hg cells are still manufactured
in Europe and in South-East Asia, but are no longer imported in the US.

FYI, my own stash of PX-625 Hg cells has been replenished (mine are
factory fresh, sealed, made by Varta/Germany), and I am happy to assist
anyone who has difficulties finding Hg cells at his/her locale.

A reminder: Hg cells have an extremely stable voltage output, a single
Hg cell in an OM-1 will last about 2 years of normal use, and properly
stored Hg cells have a shelf life of 10+ years.

Btw, I also have other Hg cells, as follows (alas, no PX-640's!):

-- PX-675 (1.35v): for compact 35mm R/F's, Konica Autoreflex's, etc.
-- PX-400 (1.35v): for Pentax Spotmatic's, Fujica ST701, etc.
-- PX-27 (5.6v): for Minox, Rollei, etc.

Pls feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA