Re: [OM] IS-10 exposure accuracy; OM popularity; wonder bricks, et al.

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-10 exposure accuracy; OM popularity; wonder bricks, et al.
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 16:37:21 EST
Hi William:

> What bothers me is not whether Olympus kills the
>  OM system (though I hope not!), but whether they will provide repair
>  service for at least the decade following such a demise.

Federal law in the USA requires a manufacturer to provide repair support for
an item until it is 7 years past the end of production, assuming, of course,
that the company is still around at that point.  So currently produced OM
System equipment will have factory repair support at least through 2005.  The
kicker is when a manufacturer produces a slightly different model.  That
legally allows them to drop support for the older model.  Witness the lack of
Olympus America repair support for the OM-4 vs. the OM-4T and OM-4Ti.

As long as indepent repairmen and women exist, and carcass bodies can be had,
there will be a source for repairs, even if the factory supplied parts run
out.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV