Re: [OM] How I clean lens surfaces

Subject: Re: [OM] How I clean lens surfaces
From: "Yvan Lindekens" <yvan.lindekens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 12:21:04 +0100
An old trick of microscopists was (is?) to clean the front lens of their
immersion objective (used in the past with cedar wood oil, nowadays with
synthetic silicone oil) with a small piece of lens paper and a drop of
saliva.

This is said to be far better than the use of lens paper and xylene,
benzene, benzine or toluene... These solutions can have an adverse effect
on the lens coating, especially when they are used frequently...

This trick can, in my experience, also be used for the cleaning of large
lens surfaces, but it has to be done very gentle!

Anyway it's best to clean lens surfaces only when it is really necessary!

Yvan Lindekens.