[OM] Canada to USA shipping tips

Subject: [OM] Canada to USA shipping tips
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 08:57:50 -0800
>Anyone care to share tips on successful shipment of used OM equipment FROM
>Canada TO the USA, esp. item that have discontinued for more than 7 to 10
>years (if that has implications on their customs treatment)?

There should be no issue at all. Under NAFTA, there are no (or very little)
customs between Canada and US. Label it "USED" to further establish that
its origin is Canada; that all entry duties were paid upon importation into
Canada.

Note that NAFTA does NOT regulate local government taxes unless they
discriminate against international trade. If you bring a car from Canada
into a state that has personal property tax, you still have to pay it. If
you would have to pay to bring something in from another stata, you will
have to pay to bring it in from Canada. And of course, if you bring stuff
from the US to Canada, you pay the infamoust GST/PST, which is NOT a tarrif
or customs duty, it's a sales tax.

My qualifications: I lived in Ottawa for three years, and ran lots of stuff
across the border. Canadians, feel free to correct any inaccuracies.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229