RE: [OM] Just how extensive is the T- Series? (brought on by seeing my f

Subject: RE: [OM] Just how extensive is the T- Series? (brought on by seeing my first T-18)
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:16:31 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Hans van Veluwen <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 27 december 1998 16:11
Ämne: Re: [OM] Just how extensive is the T- Series? (brought
on by seeing my first T-18)

>The centre of the flash head of the T18 is 3.5 cm more
removed from the lens
>than the head of the T20. The flash extender is 8 cm. high
and does a better
>job in red eye reduction. BTW, the T18 on the extender look
better than the
>T20. The reason for this, and also what I meant with the
T18 being less
>vulnerable was that the shoe of the T18 follows the same
line as the body of
>the flash, while the T20 make a 90 degrees angle with it.
This not only
>makes it easier to put the T18 in the small front pocket of
direct action
>camera bags (or how do you call these things in English),
it also makes the
>flash less vulnerable. When something hits the front pocket
with the flash
>in it, in the case of the T18 it will only hit the body of
the flash; in the
>case of the T20 it may hit and possible damage the hot
shoe. And that hurts.
>I know how it feels to loose a T20. Once I unloaded one
from my camera bag
>at the Nautal Museum of Amsterdam, and never put it back. I
hope the
>dishonest finder gets much pleasure from it ( i.e. that it
explodes in his
>hands or something :-)
>
>Hans

Hopefully it was left with the blank side of the calculator
panel outwards, and if he (or whoever ends up with it) has a
non OM SLR camera (big chance for that I guess) and he can´t
figure out that the panel has two sides (I didn´t at first)
he will only have limited use of the flash since it will
always fire at full power.   :-)

I follow your reasoning, but I do think that the T20 can
take an amazing amount of abuse though. I´ve dropped mine
several times, and now I can even see a narrow opening about
1 mm between the upper and the lower part of the flash body.
It goes all around the body except at the back. The two
halves of the body seems only to be firmly pressed together
for a few mm on both sides of calculator panel. Is this
narrow opening normal? Maybe something is missing? I really
don´t recall that it has always looked like this. Amazingly
enough it still works just fine. If it would fail me I may
consider a T18 as a replacement though. I just hope it is
built as sturdy as the legendary T20.

Per Nordenberg