Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:38:31 EST
In a message dated 12/28/98 10:21:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< First you would have to change the mind set of consumers away from AF.
 Then you would have to figure out how to make OM's at a reasonable price.
 I think that a pro should know what he/she ( no reference to Transylvania)
 wants/needs. The OM is perfect for some pro's and advanced photographers.
 The price is also right as compared to the Nikon and Canon flagships. >>

While I agree that with a PRO base, an OM system could be marketed to the
masses....but the money is also with the casual user (many more units to sell,
but yes, at a much lower price...but the cost to the company per unit is waaay
down also.
And I think AF is here to stay for the casual user-there's no going back from
where we are now. Sooo, putting a corporation's $$ into a non-AF system is, in
my opinion, not feasible. Maybe a dual system- AF and MF bodies??
And what about making it APS format?  Put yourself in the shoes of the head
R&D geek of Olympus- one wrong move and your new system may be the next OM-88!

Just a thought/ramble/opinion.

George S.