Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:18:13 +0100
Frank Ernens wrote:

> ..., but really I want
> fill flash up to 1/1000, which is higher than the shutter
> synch speed on either Nikon's or Canon's most expensive models.

Already available, Rollei 6008 with high speed shutter lenses syncs
flash up to a 1/1000 sec, if necessary with TTL metering.

I´s an MF 6x6 camera with spotmetering and the ability to meter studio
flashes through the lens.
The high speed shutter  uses carbon fiber blades and a special shutter
motor with extra strong magnets.
The high sync speed will considerably reduce the power of most flashes.

> I seem to remember reading about how one of those shots underneath
> a ski jumper was taken. A camera with drive was placed in the correct
> position, activated by the skier breaking an IR beam. The thing
> fired on continuous as the skier came over. They smashed 3
> wonderbricks before they got the shot.

No AF, because it wouldn´t work. Not enough time to focus, because the
jumper is to fast and most probably not in the center of an AF sensor.
Solution, set hyperfocal distance on lens.
Also no auto exposure, because the background would irritate the meter.
Solution, use manual exposure.

An OM-1 with motor and the mirror switched up would be ok.

> In a year or two (or maybe now), the best solution to this would
> be a digital camera. The "motor drive" would work at frame synch
> speed, and the photographer would choose the best shot from
> the buffer.

If I remember correct, the buffer is not the problem, but to read out
fast enough the CCD (get´s worse with CCD size). So I doubt, digital
will replace film in speed and quality. Imagine how many kilometers of
film you can buy for a decent digital camera.

> It is also a fact that many amateurs, like
> me, are not buying new equipment at all. Any manufacturer who
> catered to them would have to sell something not currently
> on the market. In other words, I think there is a niche for
> something like the OM system, at a reasonable price.

Exactly

Regards

Richard