[OM] OT: USPS International postage rates

Subject: [OM] OT: USPS International postage rates
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:41:16 GMT
Cc: Paul Van Tuyl <OLYMPUSGUY@xxxxxxxx>
Hello all.

I was told by a US seller of Olympus equipment that USPS have changed
their services, and that it is no longer possible to send parcels to
Europe by surface mail or by regular air mail (cheap air parcel post).
The USPS international rate calculator on their website seems to
confirm this.
This would mean that the only way to ship equipment from the USA to
Europe (at least all this applies for the Netherlands, where I live)
is by using Global Priority Mail, which is far more expensive.
Is there anyone knowledgeable around to confirm this? Paul van Tuyll
perhaps, who often ships to our continent?
If all this is true, it will be far less attractive to buy things from
the US - not only photo equipment!
For mail from Europe to the US nothing has changed: all three kinds of
mail remain possible.

Thanks for any input,
and a happy New Year to all!

Frank van Lindert.