Re: [OM] Four new pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Four new pictures
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:27:50 +0200
>On 30 Dec 98, at 9:32, Matthias Wilke wrote:
>
>> I have forgotten to add, that the pictures of the lion are of course taken
>> with a tripod (Manfrotto 144) and additional I have layed my hands on the
>> lens-camera-unit. So these pictures are in their original version so tack
>> sharp, that I think they are technically the best telephotos I have made.
>> But even such a good scan is a somewhat bad surrogate to the original
>> impression of the slides under a good loupe or as a projection.
>> Matthias
>>
>Very nice shots - do you recall what aperture the lens was set to?
>
>Does anyone know if this lens is available in Canada/US?

Hi Shawn,

the lens is a Russian mirror lens and has only one aperture value of 1:5,6.
I have bought the lens on a flea market for 160 DM (95 US dollar). I think
it is difficult to buy it in Canada/US, because the Polish dealers cannot
go so far. As an amateur telescope version, you can buy it from ITS (at
least the 1000mm version), they have a web site. Interesting for people,
who are interested in technic is, that the lens is of the so called
Maksutov type. Maksutov was an Russian physicist, who developed this type
in the fourties and published it in an American (!) magazine. The front
element is an "thick meniscus" with the second mirror on its inner side.
This front element eliminates coma abberation, the chromatic abberation is
very low, because of the mirror elements.
Matthias