Re: [OM] Looking For Info on Pen System

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking For Info on Pen System
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:24:02 -0000
From: joel2@xxxxxxxxxx  Subject: [OM] Looking For Info on Pen System

>Anyway I'm assuming since the pen takes half frame pictures that the
reduces negative size has an effect on focal lengths.  A 250mm for example
would become a 500mm (35mm equivalent) for example and as a result not just
the camera would be compact but the entire system >would tend to be smaller?
So that whooping big 800mm that was made for the Pen should be equal to a
1600mm in standard full frame 35mm format?  Correct me if I'm wrong on that
score.

No, it's nothing like double. For an 8 x 10 print a full frame negative has
to enlarged 8 times - a half frame negative has to be enlarged only 11
times, not 16, so the ratio is around 8:11

>The application I have in mind is really pretty straight forward.  I like
to sneak in cameras at rock concerts
>What I'm interested in is using say a 135mm on an Olympus Pen in an attempt
to get the equivalent of a 270mm in 35mm full frame.  Most of my prints
don't go over 8x10 anyway so the enlargement aspect shouldn't be a problem.

The strength of the Pen F/FT was in producing brilliant transparencies using
25 asa film. There's no advantage whatsoever in using half frame for prints.
The camera is a bit small for an s.l.r. but it's still noticeable, and
shiny. It's not exactly silent either but I don't suppose that would be a
problem at a rock concert.

>Another concern I have is over what type of batteries the various models
took?  I won't touch a mercury 626 with a ten foot pole from what I've read
on the web so far.

Both models use 625 one mercury battery, so it looks as though this idea is
dead in the water.

Regards,
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx