Re: [OM] Zuiko 75-150mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 75-150mm
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:58:48 -0800
Matthias wrote,

I took one slide film with an old Zuiko 75-150mm. In my
>opinion, this lens is a phenomen. Why? It is an very old version with
>chromium ring. It contains 15 elements, which are only single coated. And
>my specimen even has in at least one group (clear) streaks. One would
>expect flary results from such a lens, but the opposite is the case, the
>definition is very good, the colours are vivacious and the contrast is
>good. The sharpness is almost comparable to prime lenses even at full
>aperture. How is this possible?
>
>Matthias

Don't really know other than my 75-150 is a very good performer too. I just
find it a bit long nosed. John Hermanson commented a while back about
seeing 16 by 20 blowups by a pro photographer in the 70s who used this
lens. They were top notch. Its is kinda weird how non technical and cheap
setups can get great results. I've got a hand held shot with a Zuiko 300
f4.5 blown up to 12 by 14 that is very nice. The kicker is the ASA of the
film. Kodak 800. There was lots of light as this was at a daytime ball game.

Andre