Re: [OM] cold weather OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] cold weather OM's
From: GMA <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:26:13 -0800
james olson wrote:

> in a recent response to my cold weather troubles, it was suggested that
> the camera be put in your jacket to keep warm. this would help, but when
> it's quite cold, in about 3 to 4 minutes your self timer for mirror lock
> up is worthless. during the christmas break, i was trying to photograph
> eagles, and by the time i got my tripod set up, metered, bracketed,
> self-timed, etc. my camera wouldn't work!    the battery fades very
> quickly in the cold.  richard was correct, however, it is a battery
> problem, not a camera problem.  a cold weather pack is the answer.
>
> another cold question:  so when photographers shoot the iditarod, or
> shoot in antarctica, they either hold their cameras in their jackets
> continually, or guess the exposures with no meter and a mechanical
> camera?  am i right in assuming that the OM cameras may be a little more
> prone to battery failure in cold weather than other manufacurers?
>
> cold related question:  isn't a OM-2n battery dependent?
>
> the OM-1n and OM-3 series are the only 100% mechanical shutter cameras,
> correct?
>
> james.

James;

Everything you say is true, in my experience.  A good battery extender,
so the battery is in your pocket, is the only answer for the
even-numbered OMs.  The OM-1 and -3 will run just fine without a battery
and are great cold-weather cameras.  As you say, some other metering
method is needed though. Sunny F/16 with compensation for snow can
work.  Or, in other conditions, how about keeping the batteries in your
pockets and put them in the camera briefly to take some readings, then
back in the pocket till needed again. Or even a hand-held meter in the
pocket.

George