Re: [OM] Intro + Questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] Intro + Questions....
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:28:52 -0800
Welcome.  You have made that first important step to Zuikoholism :-)

The OM-4 and OM-4T(i) are different.  See the Olympus FAQ at
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml.  Lee and Michael
do a far better job explaining differences than I can.  The OM-4T and OM-4Ti
are the same camera.  The Ti are non-USA versions until a few years ago when
all models, regardless of where sold, became Ti.

My OM-4T (Black) is coming up on 8 years old.  It is an excellent performer.
It has never failed to operate, even in some tough conditions, save
"just-in-time" battery changes.  Since all but crippled mode operation is
100% battery dependent, I *always" keep a spare set of batteries handy.  In
the cold it is important to also keep them warm.  It behaves wonderfully in
manual and normal auto modes, and the multi-spot metering is peerless.  Body
and normal lens are compact and light; it's no burden to carry it around all
day.

The "standard" 50mm f/1.8 is actually a very fine lens, sharp and contrasty
with very little distortion or other abberations.  If low light is important
to you, the f/1.4 and f/1.2 are available but tend to be a bit pricey and
have a touch less correction than the f/1.8.  there is a brief lens test at
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/zuiko50.txt if you are a
numbers sort of person.  In the macro specialty, there are two 50mm's, and
f/3.5 and an f/2.0.  I have both of the macros, and the f/2 is a magnificent
lens.  The sole "negative" is it is heavy.  In the short tele range, the
135mm (f/3.5 of f/2.8) is long discontinued.  A good lens, and if you can
find a used one, I'd recommend it.  They can be had for a bargin sometimes.
The 85mm f/2.0 is, to some, the best Zuiko in thier kit.  I have an old
single coated one and it is an excellent lens, especially for tight portrait
shots in natural light.  The 85mm is very compact, hardly any larger than
the 50mm f/1.4.  Olympus also has a 100mm lens (f/2.0 and 2.8) in this
range.  I've never handled one, but they are still available new.  Also in
this range is the magnificent 90mm f/2.0 macro.  This lens is, IMHO, just
amazing.  Big, heavy, bulky to the point of being awkward and quite
expensive, its sharpness is the stuff legend and chest beating <g>.
Seriously, it is a fine lens and can go to half size without additional
extension.

The OM-4(T(i)) accepts the full range of Olympus attachments and acessories
including focusing screens, motor drives. winders, backs, bellows and on and
on.  I have a motor drive 2 (5 fps) on my 4T all the time and have no
problems of any kind.  I am not aware of any particular weakness in the
4T(i).  It is, to me, the most complete 35mm camera ever produced.  Read the
"crash test" results at
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/crash-test.txt for some
insight to its ruggedness.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Matthias Ochs <mjochs@xxxxxxxxx> asked: