Re: [OM] Intro + Questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] Intro + Questions....
From: GMA <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 16:55:06 -0800
Welcome, Matthias;

1) 4Ti is newer, sturdier (Titanium), still supported by Olympus, is
easier on batteries. 4 is cheaper on the used market.

2) No. 4Ti can use F280 full-sync flash, but looks like you already knew
that.

3) The 50/1.4 does not seem to perform as good at the wider-open
apertures as the cheaper 50/1.8 In fact, the 50/1.8 is one of the finest
examples of a standard lens amoung ANY of the camera brands. There is
also the more expensive 50/1.2 which is superb when stopped down past
f/4.  AND the 50/2 macro is one of the best in the world.  Very good at
all apertures. The 85/2 is much sought after for portraits.  135/2.8 is
also supposed to be quite good.  And the 100/2 is reputed to have few
equals at that focal length.  It's a bit heavier than the other 2.  Be
aware that it's sometimes tricky to determine if a Zuiko is Multi-coated
(MC) or single coated.  There's lots of info in the archives about this
issue.  And check out: http://www.mcs.net/~smp/photo/oly.htm  for more
info and links. Particularly good is Paul Farrars' Zuiko lens
compilation page, which can be found thru the link to the R Lee Hawkins
page.

4) The 4s sometimes suck battery juice.  If $$$ is not a major concern,
I'd get the 4Ti, if only because all parts are still available for it.
The Motor Drive 2 is still supported by Oly. It is heavier than the
MD-1, but has 2 counter-rotating motors, so is smoother.  I think some
parts are becoming scarce for the Winder 2, although I just got a full
baseplate straight from Oly in NY for $14.  This includes the main
trouble points which are the SOS (Single/Off/Sequence) switch and the
battery contacts.  So I wouldn't hesitate to get a Winder 2 or MD2.  I
think MD1 parts are harder to get, but it is much lighter and is less
$$$ than the MD2.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there'll be others responding to your
questions.  And, I hope you saw the recent message on this list
extolling the virtues of your X-700!

George

PS Having said all this, I hope it's not in TOO much bad taste to
mention I've got a nice (9 condition) Winder 2 I'm offering for $95.
And a real nice 50/1.4 MC for $65 if my comments didn't scare you away
from this lens!