Re: [OM] "pro" metering?

Subject: Re: [OM] "pro" metering?
From: Matthias Ochs <mjochs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 10:14:01 +0000
William Sommerwerck wrote:

> "To me multi-spot metering seems more "pro" than any "don´t worry
> about
> it" matrix metering."
>
> It depends on how you define "pro" <grin>. Professional photographers
> sometimes have to shoot under widely varying light conditions and
> expect
> to get a near- perfect exposure without having to fuss with the
> camera.
> If matrix (or more correctly, "evaluative") metering delivers those
> results, then it's a good thing.

I feel that it is not very feasible to act/photograph like a "pro" at
all.  What amateurs tend to forget is that a "pro" makes pictures to
make money, to create a PROfit !

That does IMHO not mean they make the best photos - rather that they
work efficiently, always looking at their gain (don't get me wrong, they
HAVE to - to earn their living).  Why all the amateurs (which BTW comes
from "amare" - to love !) want to be like "pros" is a mystery to me.

There is nothing wrong with being a "pro"-photographer BUT I enjoy being
amateur and doing it for the love of photography and plain fun.

I hope I didn't step on to many toes, just my two cents worth....

Matthias

BTW: Thanx a lot for the detailed answers to my olympus-beginners
questions !