Re: [OM] "pro" metering?

Subject: Re: [OM] "pro" metering?
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 14:54:31 +0200
Hello namesake,

>That does IMHO not mean they make the best photos - rather that they
>work efficiently, always looking at their gain (don't get me wrong, they
>HAVE to - to earn their living).  Why all the amateurs (which BTW comes
>from "amare" - to love !) want to be like "pros" is a mystery to me.
>
>There is nothing wrong with being a "pro"-photographer BUT I enjoy being
>amateur and doing it for the love of photography and plain fun.
>
>I hope I didn't step on to many toes, just my two cents worth....

That is the same I think. On the other hand, I believe that professionals
wonder sometimes about the endless seak for the very best picture quality
of the amateurs, because for professionals the attendance is more important
than the real (very) best picture quality. I have a friend, who is a pro
photographer and he doesn't know anything about how many elemenent/groups
has this or that lens. Another example is Fritz Pölkings (a professional)
suggestion to combine the Nikon 80-200mm 1:4 zoom with a 1,4 converter, a
short extension tube and a close focus lens at the same time. No amateur
who fancies oneself to be like a professional would suggest such a
combination.

Matthias

P.S. Dilettante is even more funny than amateur, isn't it ?