[OM] battery-munching camera; f/stops & T-stops; "premature" shooting

Subject: [OM] battery-munching camera; f/stops & T-stops; "premature" shooting
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 06:37:55 -0800
"I have an OM-4T which seems to eat batteries --  even when not in use
-- at an unbelievable speed. I've had it since 1990. Is this a common
problem? Can it be solved?"

I don't know how "common" it is, but many people in this group (myself
included) have had this problem. The camera might also have other
electronic problems you aren't aware of (such as flaky exposure memory).

Your camera needs repair. I'm not sure I can recommend Olympus USA,
because they "repaired" mine THREE TIMES, and still couldn't get it
right. In every case, the camera was returned partially or wholly
unrepaired -- the techs didn't seem to have any idea of how a properly
working camera was supposed to behave. I was lucky, though, because I'd
bought a $50 extended warranty, so I didn't get hit with hundreds of
dollars of (non-)repairs. After the third "repair," I insisted on a
replacement, and they gave me a very clean demo unit. That one has
worked flawlessly since.

Because these breakdowns occur often and are the result of a
fundamentally defective design, Olympus USA is legally obliged to repair
or replace the camera at no cost to you, under the warranty of implied
merchantability. However, "good luck" getting them (or any other
company) to live up to their legal obligations.

"Has the lens realy an aperture of 5,6 or this an T(ransmission) value
of 5,6?"

All mirror lenses are spec'd with their f/stop, because it looks better
in the ads. The T-stop is about a third-stop smaller (depending on the
size of the secondary obstruction).

"I've got an OM-10 that will sometimes immediately fire after the manual
winder is wound all the way."

Is there any chance you're unconciously resting your finger on the
shutter release and accidentally pressing it?